How to make a spinach with milk and garlic. Garlic spinach sauce and bechamel base, step by step recipe.
I will not hide you, since childhood I have a great weakness for this spinach with garlic and milk. The base is a bechamel sauce, plus whipped spinach, garlic and plenty of freshly brewed nutmeg if you like it.
It goes well with egg prepared in any way, from eyelids to omelets or egg poached, just as well goes with a chicken breast or barbecue and in my mother’s house I discovered the same spinach sauce served along with meatballs or, sometimes, the juvenile chicken liver.
In addition to the wonderful taste, these foliage-rich foliage contain a significant amount of folic acid, vitamins B1, B2, B6, B9, PP, C, E and K, carotene, antide, lipids, carbohydrates, iron, as well as a specific substance called spinach, so when we prepare a spinach food, we will also benefit from its easy laxative, depurative, antianemic, hypotensive, nutritive, remineralizing, aphrodisiac and hypoglycemic properties.
So we have every reason to include it as often as food, cooked in various ways or even crudely in the form of salads.
Ingredients for Spinach with garlic and milk
500 grams of fresh spinach, weighed after being picked, washed and salted or 250-300 grams of frozen spinach
250-300 ml. milk
25 grams of butter
1 teaspoon of oil
25 grams of flour
3-4 large garlic clove
salt and pepper to taste
optional, 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Preparation for spinach with garlic and milk:
1. Put on a large pot with 4-5 liters of water and boil. Separately, prepare a large bowl of very cold water, preferably with ice cubes. When the water boils, add the spinach all at once and press in the water with a sponge. We will cook the spinach until it softens and loses its volume, 1 – 1:30 minutes, then drain it out of the hot water or lift it out of the pot with boiling water with the froth and plunge it directly into the bowl with cold water like ice . This thermal shock (blushing) will ensure that the color of green spinach is preserved even if it is still cooked. Once the spinach has reached the bowl of cold water, drain the liquid well through a strainer, pressing it gently.
2. The well-drained spinach is chopped with a knife or, if you prefer, it can be poured into the blender to obtain a homogeneously colored green paste. I prefer the chopped spinach variant, which will give a little texture to the preparation and which has more naturalness.
3. Heat a medium sized pan (about 2 liters) on medium heat and add oil and butter. (The role of the oil is only to raise the temperature of smoked butter, which would otherwise burn slightly). When the butter melts, add the flour and mix quickly until it is impregnated with fat. Pour the hot milk gradually, stirring vigorously after each new cut of liquid. In total, base bechamel sauce should boil for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat, so it’s better to be more liquid and if it thickens too much, warm milk is added until it reaches a consistency similar to liquid cream.
4. Crush the garlic, add 2 tablespoons of cold water to obtain a concentrated garlic sauce.
5. After the basic sauce is cooked enough, add chopped spinach (or frozen if used), stir well and boil again. If the food is too thick, it is thinner with hot milk and it is still boiled (the spinach needs to boil for 3 minutes, we do not want to destroy it, just to cook it). Season with salt and pepper to taste, add garlic sauce prepared at point 4 and finally a little nutmeg, unless you like her flavor. The food is ready, it fits with any kind of egg dish, etc.